Thursday, June 18, 2009

A Study in Black and White

What colour is this bird?

Being a color blind kind of guy, the Black-and-White Warbler is one of my favorite birds. It also happens to be the symbol of the Black Swamp Bird Observatory. Colourful (spelling for my new Cardiff buddies) birds are great, don't get me wrong. I love the bright warbly things with the yellow splashed all over their spasmodic little bodies.

But sometimes people get all excited and start jumping up and down, screaming and pointing:

"Look at that beautiful Scarlet Tanager up in that tree!"
"My, it's SO RED, it practically glows against the GREEN tree!"
"It's right THERE!, NO, THERE! WHAT ARE YOU BLIND?"

Well, in a way, yes. This past May at Magee Marsh, there was a Tanager quite close by. A very 'helpful' older woman was very insistent that I see the bird and photograph it. She grabbed my arm and tugged me around. She pointed and waved her cane at the bird. She was on the edge of hitting me, I think, until I finally saw movement and sighted the "BRIGHT RED BIRD."

Thank you very much. I'll stick to Black-and-White Warblers.

Not only a 'Bird from Behind', butt from below as well!

A busy little lady getting her nest ready. It's great that we have these nesting in the area.
Oops! How did this Blackpoll Warbler get in here? This one was such a beauty, but it only sat still in the open for its portrait for a second. Shoot quick!!

Hmmm, more material for another blog? "Birds from Above" nah...

1 comment:

  1. Hi Dave,
    Another of your gorgeous series!! I do not know how you get close to them to get this nice shots, but you will hardly do it here, especially with the tern and the redshank shooting as soon as they see you. Everything fly away then... Good job there again!

    ReplyDelete