Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Things Were Hoppin' at Magee!...part two...of many...

 A cute little Palm Warbly with that waggly tail...

So...where was I? Oh, still at Magee Marsh for the Biggest Week fest...duh...

I heard a few people complaining about the chilly and rainy weather that was coming on and off. Silly humans. They don't realize that when it's windy and drizzly the insects are hiding lower in the trees and scrub to stay warm and dry...and those clever warblies know that all too well! Bad weather at Magee means birds are at eye level and posing nicely!

So kids, our lesson for today is: GET OUT THERE NO MATTER WHAT! Thanks you, class dismissed....after you look at the photos...

 I watched this male Prothonotary Warbly working on his nest hole in a nearby tree.
More warblies soon!
There was a younger man with a camera looking at this very same bird and telling everyone it was a Yellow Warbler. I tried to correct him, but he was perfect in every way and "knew his birds better than me." As he walked away, I told a few of the newer birders that were listening that it was, indeed, a Prothonotary and showed them the difference with a nearby by Yellow Warbly. 
I'm not all-knowing, but I know my warblies!

 This male Red-bellied Woodpecker was working on his nest as well.

 We saw a few Rose-breasted Grosbeaks, all at a bit of a distance.

 Year round residents, I still love those chipper Song Sparrows and their happy songs.

 A Sora was spotted along the boardwalk...with a large crowd of humans as well.
All I could make out from my angle was the shadow on the water.
I decided to leave the crowd because I could see the Sora was walking away...about ten feet down I stood alone and waited while everyone else was frozen in place trying to crane their necks to get a view.

 Yep. It came out right near my spot and I was all alone to get a few shots before I told everyone there was a clear view by me.
Then the hoards charged in...and I left smiling...

This is one of those confusing ones. I only had a couple of photos, but I am sure it's a Tennessee Warbly. Sometimes they don't like to pose very long.
Gotta eat them buggies and head for Canada!

 Speaking of confusing.
Thrushes make my brain itch.
This may be a Gray-cheeked Thrush...or not.

 I have dozens of photos of Thrushes and no one nearby to compare ideas with...
Color blindness can be an issue at times...
Maybe a Hermit...any ideas out there?

 Ooo-Oooo! I know this one!
It's a Sparrow....with a white throat...so it must be a White-throated Sparrow!
Yea! I got one right!

 This warbly is yellow. I know that color.
He's got streakies of a color I don't know.
So that makes him a Yellow Warbly.
Logic, eh?

 This male Yellow-rumped Warbly, aka "Butter Butt," was busy cleaning up to impress the ladies.

When he was freshly preened and sparkly, he started to belt out his tune.
What a chick magnet...I should take lessons...

Stay tuned for more from...
THE BIGGEST WEEK IN AMERICAN BIRDING!

No comments:

Post a Comment