Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Living in the Past...Still...

Yes, it is.

 Oh my, it's a young American Coot!
(As opposed to me being an old American Coot.)

One day I'll catch up on my posts, nah...what fun would that be? Today in the WaBac machine, we're going to Howard Marsh just past Magee Marsh and Ottawa NWR. This is a newer reclaimed marsh area, and it's a truly great place to visit. Every year will be a little different as things settle in and more birds arrive.

This visit was in mid September, a little quiet and a little late for the shorebirds, butt still a great day to wander their trails. Enough yammering, let's look at the birdies!


Another young Coot...

An American Coot...older than the younger, butt not as old as me.

O S, M R Ducks. Blue-winged Teals to be somewhat precise.

You can't tell from her, butt he has one wing tucked into his vest.
Yep, it's a Bonaparte's Gull.

Bonaparte's Gulls and Common Terns chillin' out on a former tree planted just for their enjoyment.

As you may know, I'm not the biggest fan of those gray and white burds...butt I'll make an exception for a Bonaparte's Gull.

They're not noisy and obnoxious like some other gulls we won't mention.
Just sayin'...

Canada Geese aren't good at being graceful when landing.

A Caspian Tern on the prowl for some fresh fish sticks, never frozen...

And there ya go!

Still a couple of butterflies out like this Clouded Sulphur.

Double-crested Cormorants have a habit of diving under as soon as you point your camera at them. This guy wasn't paying attention.

That's a WHOLE LOTTA ducks!

A not so graceful landing. I feel his pain, I've had a few not so graceful landings myself.

Much better! This Great Blue Heron was looking regal as he paraded across the meadow.

The Great Egrets were all far away on this day.

It took me a while to figure this one help, luckily I had help on Instagram!
Juvenile Horned Lark.

Of course all of my shots were from behind...

PEEPS!
Killdeer, something else small and a Semipalmated Sandpiper.
One day I'll figure them all out...maybe...


KILLDEER! YES! I know this one!

A couple of naughty Northern Bluet Damselflies.
Sheesh, right out in public, no shame..

Lots of trail to wander!

One of the high points of the day was this Northern Harrier zooming around the marsh grass.


I watched her diving down over and over!

Maybe this time!

I think she found lunch at last!

Gotta love those young Pied-billed Grebes!

A Red Admiral hiding in the grass.
It took me a while to get back up...

This looks like a Solitary Sandpiper to me...and he was solitary...

The last of the wildflowers for the season.

I believe this to be a Spreadwing Damselfly, but I'm not sure of the exact species.

I'm sure we'll find out in the comments...

A flock of Trumpeter Swans flew right over me.
The sounds of their wings and feeling the air movement was definitely the high point of my day!

This one was at the edge of the flock, just far enough away to be able to focus on.

And of course, one last butt shot for your enjoyment!

See you again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment