Monday, November 16, 2009

Bold, Successful, Bedazzling, Openhearted

B.S.B.O...
Those are the words I can use to describe Kim Kaufman. Everyone that has the pleasure of knowing her would say the same...and more. I could add obsessive, bonkers, sleepless and more, but I'll leave it there.

Kim is the director of the Black Swamp Bird Observatory(you've heard about them in this blog!) and the founder of the Ohio Young Birders Club. That club is being copied all over the United States right now! It's great that someone cares enough about getting kids involved in conservation and birding and getting them outside and away from the television and video games. She teaches them about habitat loss, bird banding, crafts, silly songs and more.

The Toledo Naturalist Association had a lovely annual banquet at the Toledo Zoo Saturday evening with Julie Zickefoose as the keynote speaker. Great food, great company and a great award presented to Kimmay! She was honored as the 2009 Naturalist of the Year. And more than well deserved I might add.

Me and the Doodles are lucky enough to count her and Kenn as good friends and it has been amazing to watch them and all they do for our feathered friends. And they're not done yet...

Kim giving her heart felt acceptance speech...and she didn't cry at all...really...

By the way, if you're wondering why I haven't been blogging lately...
Another hard drive crash, not to worry, all my photos are backed up on an external drive. If you haven't done that yet, DO IT NOW!
In the meantime, I'll try to do a little on the laptop until things get squared away.
Thanks for your patience!

3 comments:

  1. ohmygosh...I'm actually blushing! What a sweet and wonderful thing to do, Dave! Reading this--I feel like I've just been given another award! Thank you so so much! It meant so much to me that you and the Doodles were there that night, and your enthusiasm and support have made such a difference for me and BSBO! This is your award too!! (but i'ma hang it on my wall, okay?!) : )

    love to you both~ kimmer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh noooo...not a crash!!! Good luck with repairs. Looks like you know how to handle those computer guts too. Since switching to a Mac, I haven't had any problems (knocking wood now--shouldn't have said that!). I met Kim and Ken at the symposium and were blown away by all they do. Wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you finally got your computer back! Great to see you again at the OYBC, wish I had known about the banquet in enough time to have been able to attend!

    ReplyDelete