Wednesday, August 4, 2010

ShoreButts...

A very rare Greater Yellow'LEG"...not really...

A nice quiet Sunday morning at Ottawa National Wildlife Refuge...very quiet. The shorebird migration has started and the temperatures were close to 90 once again. I didn't make it very far into the refuge...at all. I walked the ponds near the entrance, which are always good and the woodlands behind the visitors center. But it still took me three hours, what a slow poke...

I'll start with the birds I spotted in the ponds, in the next post I'll share the birds and bugs of the woodland areas.

With an attitude like that, no wonder he's a Solitary Sandpiper.

Oopsie, that's not a bird!
If you kiss a Green Frog on the lips, he'll turn into....
nothing, this is real life.
Don't you know you're not supposed to kiss frogs in the refuge!


I think the Solitary Sandpiper was mocking that Greater Yellowlegs...

You know it's hot when you see a Great Egret and a Great Blue Heron in a dead tree with their bills hanging open.

...And the high point of the ponds...a juvenile Black-crowned Night-Heron!
I almost drove past him on my way in. When I stopped and got my camera, he decided to be shy and fly away...kids...