Saturday, February 11, 2012

ARGH!!!

Meanwhile...back at the Longest Twitch...

Continuing on from last weekend at Miller Road Park, and looking out onto the lake we saw hundreds of Red-breasted Mergansers and a few of those gray and white birds and one black and white bird. Oh, and one odd bird all by itself.

When I first spotted it, I thought "Myself(that's what I call me), that looks like a bird in the water, and NOT a gull. 
Myself thinks it's a Grebe."

"But wait Myself! Lookit them wings..."

"And that longish pointy like beak..."

"Myself, that there bird might be a Red-throated Loon!"

"Or is Myself the loon here?"

"Myself, maybe it's an odd looking Horned Grebe...yep, that's it."

 "But wait, after looking at Myself's many guides of the field, 
photographic and otherwise, maybe it is a Red-throated Loon."

Well, after hours and days of arguing with "Myself," I have surrendered. It is both a Grebe AND a Loon. The world's first hybrid and documented here for the very first time. I shall await a call from the National Geographic...or possibly the local asylum.

What do you think...about the bird that is?