Wednesday, March 29, 2017

I Think I'm Being Followed...

 
 My new little friend...a close friend...a little too close for my camera...

 A couple of Sundays ago I decided to go for a walk past the Beaver Marsh in Cuyahoga Valley. I was tired of chores around the apartment and needed some fresh air. It was late in the afternoon, not the best for photography, but what the heck, a few more crappy pics for the pile won't make much difference!

I was surprised not many people were out...must have been dinner time I guess. So...I'm having a nice leisurely stroll past the old canal and heard a small noise behind me. I looked around and I was the only one there...I started walking slowly again, looking for any ducks or herons that may be about...and I heard a little rustling sound again. When I turned around I saw this little Song Sparrow looking back at me...then he hopped a little closer...pecked in the grass...then stopped and looked up again. Of course I said hello, because I am a birder and I am a little odd. He went about pecking in the grass some more while getting closer still.

I must admit the the Song Sparrow is my favorite bird(don't tell the warblies!) I'm amazed at how many photos I have of them on my computer. One day I'll have to have a photo show of only Song Sparrows!...anyway...I tried to walk backwards so I could get a few MORE photos...and he kept following me! I must have been stirring things up in the grass and he was taking advantage of the situation.

I did manage to get a few shots in focus. Gorgeous little bird. A couple that were passing by were a bit puzzled at this weirdo talking to the grass and taking pictures. I pointed out the lil cutie and they said "Oh, a sparrow. That's nice." Clueless, truly clueless of the beauty all around them. If they would just slow down and look...

  How could you not love the patterns and colors of this bird?

  This was as close as I got to a bird from behind pose...

  It seemed he was truly paying attention as I spoke quietly to him.

 I had to say goodbye to the sparrow and continue my walk.
Even at this angle you can still see the black cap of this chickadee.

 Still no sign of the screech owl...

 This was the lone Great Blue Heron of the day.
I didn't want to scare him off, so I just stuck my lens into the reeds and got a couple of shots to remember him.

 That male Hooded Merganser has that "hypnotized by love" look in his eye!

 Here's a switch a female chasing a male Mallard!

 And of course, a Mourning Dove busy building a nest and hunting for food...

 There were a few Northern Pintails on the far side of the marsh.
(an addition to the crappy photo file.)

 nope.

 Lots of Red-winged Blackbirds were out.
This was a youngster trying to be cool with the adults...

 They were a noisy bunch!
Somewhere in the scrub underneath was a lone Rusty Blackbird calling. I never did see him.

 The Tufted Titmouseseses were very shy today.
I could never get very close.

 The White-breasted Nuthatches were being as nutty as usual...

 If you can't catch them bugs with your beak...stomp 'em!

 Wood Ducks...not made of wood...as usual...
 
 I managed to creep up on this Northern Cardinal.
I'm still surprised that I made it so close before he took off!


 Well, that's it for now. I went to the Shreve Migration Sensation...took hundreds of photos of ducks..that were about a mile off...I'll probably post a few within the week...oh, and I also caught the flu while there. Special souvenirs...I won't share that part...you're welcome...

SO, Until We Meet Again!





No comments:

Post a Comment