Thursday, August 31, 2017

Last Month at Munroe...

 A rude little American Goldfinch giving me the razzberries...back atcha bub!

 Yep, yep, yep...really behind...waaaayyyyy behind...oh well. This was from mid July at the lovely Munroe Falls/Tallmadge Meadows Park. And it's only two of the three days in a row I went out there to try to get a better shot of the Yellow-breasted Chat, former warbly thing and still hiding from my camera. They're kind of the feathered version of the "Wack-a-Mole" game...up for a second and back down as soon as you point at them and almost focus. He's up there with that stinking otter...furry jerks...

At least I have lots of photos to look at...and to eventually torment you with...not to mention my slightly deranged commentary. One day I'll get therapy...and I'll probably make the doc go off the deep end too. Wheeeee! Burdzburdzburdzburdz!

 I'm used to looking up for Cedar Waxwings...this guy was creeping along in the weeds and wildflowers.

 I was also playing peek-a-boo with this Common Yellowthroat.
I believe he has a nest just below camera view. I saw him pop down there with a bug, then a little rustling in the weeds, then he was up and out and back shortly with more goodies for junior.

 This is a Cooper's Hawk looking for dinner.

 This is a Cooper's Hawk dinner.
Some people call them Mourning Doves...mourning for each other...
 
 Oh those wacky flycatchers!
I'm sticking with Eastern Wood-Pewee on this one.
I gave up on last weeks pics...

 This is a Groundhog trying to find his shadow.
I didn't have the heart to tell him that he won't see it until February.
Maybe he was just practicing...

 I knew where two sets of Indigo Buntings had nests this year.
I was lucky enough to catch this young one sitting out in the open waiting for dad...and food.

 Indigo Buntings are quite handsome birds...almost up there with warblies in my book!
 
 Here's a happy lil buddy with what looks like grasshopper filet.
Juicy!

 And of course the Song Sparrows were still singing!

 One day I will leave the NOTTER out of a post...nah...

 This is a Red-bellied Woodpecker pretending to be part of the tree.
Needs a little more practice...

 This is a juvenile Common Yellowthroat (thanks to Brian Tinker! )...a lucky find for me!
I never did see an adult...

 The way he was begging, there must have been one near by.

 ...and the Song Sparrows are STILL singing...
 
 If you ever wondered why your cell phone reception goes on and off...wonder no more.
A popular game with Turkey Vultures is  spreading their wings to block your signal.
Another true fact you won't find anywhere else!
(I'll bet I could get a job in the White House!)

 I took a photo of this teasel(maybe a teasel?) just because I thought it was pretty....

 THen when I looked at it on the computer I noticed the fly and the caterpillar...and...

 ...Mrs. Spider and web he wove waiting patiently for dinner to be delivered...
It always amazes me what I find when I look even closer.

 More pretty wildflowers, thistle of some sort...no bugs...

 Another wildflower...I discovered amongst all of my field guides a Peterson guide to wildflowers...from 1968...I think I need a newer one with photos to assist my simple mind...
Maybe Spotted Cowbane...maybe not...let me know if you know then we'll all know...uh...

 I think I need a nap...one last bird butt and I'm out!


Have fun out there and don't forget to take a closer look...and when you arrive home tell your politicians to leave the parks for the people and the wildlife!

No comments:

Post a Comment