Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Guess Who's Coming To Dinner?

A bird on the wire is dangerous to two in the bush!

I noticed this good looking bird sitting on the power lines behind our home on Christmas Day. He looks like a Sharp-shinned Hawk, but he may be a Cooper's. Right now, I'm sticking with the Sharpy ID...because that would make him a new bird for the yard list!

My brother Jeff and I watched him eye-balling the shrubs for an appropriate "dining companion" for his Christmas meal. He soon gave up and flew off into the nearby woods.

Late afternoon on Sunday, the Doodles saw something large zoom over the kitchen window. I looked out the window and saw a group of Crows crowing(that's what they do) high in the trees out back. There's a sign of a hunter afoot! When I went into the dining room to check the feeders out front, the Hawk came crashing through the shrubs and evergreen and onto our millstone...with a House Sparrow as his dinner guest. One less Sparrow to feed...

I guess this House Sparrow wasn't as well hidden as she thought...Oops.

Well, he is sitting below the bird feeder!
The Sparrow is in his right talon.
When I moved in the window to get a better shot he flew off for a more intimate dinner location.


FEED THE BIRDS!

*It seems like the popular vote is going towards "Cooper's Hawk" as the proper ID of this birdie. Oh well...Thanks Barb!