Wednesday, March 30, 2016


 Once again, I have a display of my photos at the Carlisle Visitors Center in the Lorain Metroparks. I think this is the 7th year for me. The folks out there are great(Hi Jennifer and Mary!) and the center is a wonderful place to visit. They have an activity room for children, a "window on wildlife" and gift shop, meeting rooms and fantastic trails through woodland, meadow and wetlands. This past weekend the trails I wandered on were especially muddy...I loved it!

Once I finished setting up my photos...somewhat straight and even...I decided it was time for a little birding. After an hour or so in the sun, the temps went from 30 to the upper 70's! Time for shorts and a t shirt and summertime!...at least for a day...northern Ohio changes from minute to minute. Me and my bird buddies enjoyed every moment in the sun!

 I caught this American Tree Sparrow dozing off  in the warm rays of the sun.
I was thinking of doing the same thing...

 The Black-capped Chickadees were all around...this is the only one that sat still for me.

 While I walked around the wetland I heard dozens of Rusty Blackbirds but couldn't get a single shot.
I did get one photo of this sparrow skulking in the clumps of vegetation.
It look like a Chipping Sparrow, but I can't say for sure...
What do you think?

 With the very warm temperature, the birds had plenty of insects out for lunch.
This Downy Woodpecker was busy digging into his meal.

 The Eastern Bluebirds were out in force on this day...in the wetlands and in the woods...

 Nest boxes are all around the center and you can watch the Bluebirds and Tree Swallows argue over property rights.

 I enjoyed watching these gorgeous birds fly catching from branch to branch in the woods.
( I should have taken a shot of my feet buried in the mud while I stood there and watched!)

 YEA! The first butterfly of the year, an Eastern Comma.
They hibernate through the winter in log piles and the hollows of trees.

 Hmmm...another mystery sparrow.
That dark streaking and big bill reminds me of a Fox Sparrow more than a Song Sparrow...

 The Midland Painted Turtles were also enjoying the warm sun.
I couldn't find a log my size to lay on...

 This Red-bellied Woodpecker was finding plenty to munch on in that old squirrels nest.

 Once again, standing ankle deep in the mud, transfixed on this beautiful singing Song Sparrow!

 I think the Tree Swallows were VERY full!
They actually sat still for me!

 Another sure sign that spring has sprung at last!

Bluebirds are absolutely gorgeous!
I heard him laughing at me as he zoomed away...
"Ha-Ha! The mud sucked your sandals off!"
Yep, that's okay...it was warm and not snowing...

8 comments:

  1. How delightful, both your photo display and your day birding the park!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always, great photos, Dave! I especially love the "Bluebird in Flight." Outstanding!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on the exhibition of your photos. Your birding has become very active as you have lots of visitors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love showing my photos...my better than just gathering dust!

      Delete
  4. I put out the bird boxes two weeks ago and we had a bluebird family move in within the week. Another week and we should have even more baby blues!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy that I have brainwashed you! It took a while...Mwahaha!

      Delete
  5. Hi Dave,
    Congratulations on having your work displayed at the Carlisle visitor Center. I posted it on our Facebook page and the site. How long will your work be there?

    ReplyDelete