Sunday, April 15, 2018

Success at Last!



 Northern River Otter

 We had gorgeous "summer" weather this past Friday. With temps rising into the 80's AND no rain, I went out to Cuyahoga Valley N.P. and the Ira Road beaver marsh for a little walk after work. I just got my 500mm lens back from repairs and needed to test it out. And what a way to test it!

I spoke with a few birders that were out searching for signs of the spring migration and, of course the subject turned to the invisible otters that everyone claims are real. As we were talking up popped this guy along a log. In the seconds it took me to get on him, he dived under. Nutz...no photo...then up he popped again! He looked around, then right at us and under he went not to be seen again. At long last! I now believe that otters exist.

 PLOOP! He's gone...

 This photo will now be retired...YEA!

 There were things other than otters!
This is a Midland Painted Turtle...lots and lots of them on logs and rocks.

 This Downy Woodpecker was trying to figure out what I was so excited about.
He sees otters all the time...

 Pied-billed Grebes are always smiling...cause they dive under water and see otters...

 Do not pet Snapping Turtles.
They don't care for it.

 The Song Sparrows were singing up a storm...really, a storm came through later.

 Wood Ducks still don't look like wood to me.

 I wonder if this Common Grackle knows the ones that empty my feeders within an hour of being filled.
I asked, but I don't think he heard me.

And to top off a great day...a Yellow-rumped Warbly!
They're back!

No comments:

Post a Comment