Sunday, May 12, 2019

Just a Couple of Burdz...or so...

 Ohhhh....that bug is doomed!

Hello again. Guess where I was? No...(or yes, depending on your answer!) Magee Marsh for the Biggest Week in American Birding...and it was the tenth anniversary too! My first visit to Magee was in 2004 for what was then known as International Migratory Bird Day, now World Bird Day. I think there were just a few hundred folks on the boardwalk back then...now there are thousands! Birders come from every state in the US and from every continent(really!) to see the warblies and other birds that migrate through this amazing area.

I'm lucky to live just a couple hours away and I love to visit every weekend...and more in May...and the rest of the year too! In addition to all of the wonderful birds, I get to see friends I only see this time of year...the folks from Wildside Tours, especially the best guide of Ecuador Edison, Sabrewing Tours, Black Swamp Bird Observatory , Time and Optics and Aviantica (cool tee's Thanks!) among others...AND all my bird buddies.

So...onward and upward...or something...

 As you can see that Black-and-white Warbly got him a bug!

 Yes, that's a real tattoo of a Black-and-white Warbly on my skinny arm!
It is my favorite bird after all!

 Contemplating his next meal...

 Butt Shot!

You can't get them all.
That Black-throated Blue Warbly was mighty quick!

He sat still long enough for me to get one shot...AND from the right angle!

 While we're talking of warblies with black throats, how about a Black-throated Green Warbly?

 A rare Blandings Turtle catching a few rays with a Midland Painted Turtle photo bombing in the back...

 Luckily there was a crowd staring at this tree, half of which were saying "Where? I don't see it!"
Once you see this Eastern Screech Owl you're amazed at their camouflage.

 One of my other favorite birds is the Gray Catbird...of which there were many!

 Tucked away all cozy in it's nest is this Great Horned Owlet.

 Hermit Thrushes are messy eaters.

 Magnolia Warblies are my second favorite warbly...and one of the easiest to spot from behind.
Yep, on the other arm...

 At long last I got a good photo of a Northern Waterthrush!

 I asked him to turn around so I could add a butt shot and this was the look I got!
 
 This is how you see Ovenbirds...down low underneath the vegetation...ow...my back...

 I like Palm Warblies cause they sit still for me.

 A Red-breasted Nuthatch showing off his stream liner bug attack pose.

 A Ruby-crowned Kinglet pretending to be innocent.

 A sight for Sora eyes!
Ha! Bird jokes are the best...

 This Spotted Sandpiper was yelling at me.
I can't imagine why anyone would yell at me.
(Please leave a comment to explain.)

 Defying gravity.

 The Tree Swallows were all busy getting nesting material prepping for the baby season!

 A staring contest between me and a White-throated Sparrow...he won.


 How much woodland can a Wood Thrush thrash?

 He laughed at that one!
(Who put that stick there?!)

 The warblies were hard to get this year, butt I got a few including this Yellow-RUMPED!

 I shall leave you for now with this White-throated Sparrow from behind...

Until we meet again!...

2 comments: