Thursday, May 19, 2022

The Biggest Week in American Birding...part 3?...

A wee lil American Goldfinch...

For me, this was a very strange festival. Normally I would be out everyday at Magee looking for them lil warbly things. This year I was asked to be a bird guide! Luckily for me, maybe unfortunately for them, I led two beginners bird walks at Pearson Metroparks just outside of Toledo, butt still close to Maumee Bay and Magee Marsh.

I was happy to have the company of Diego and Jay from Costa Rica along for the first walk. We had some great birds, great-crested flycatcher AT EYE LEVEL!, Nashville warbly, palm warbly and more. Everyone had a good time and saw some great birds!

The second day I had the company of three reps from Zeiss Optics! I felt awkward with my (lovely) Swarovskis! Another great day with the flycatcher still present! We had about a dozen folks on each trip and I kept my humor to a minimum...very difficult! I'm looking forward to seeing the surveys!

I left my camera behind(OUCH) both days to "focus" on the birds and beginners so I missed the flycatcher when I went back in the afternoon. Next time...

I did manage a few shots though! 

The Black-capped Chickadees were plentiful!

Gotta love those beebees! Wee lil Carolina Wrens...

Searching for food on the shelter roof...

A little snack for the kiddies...

This is what happens when there's a leaf partially blocking my view. There really were two Downy Woodpeckers on the tree...no ghosts!

Hello MODO!

This Red-bellied Woodpecker was keeping an eye on me...

My first Rose-breasted Grosbeak of the year!

Here's a puzzlement...I know it's a thrush...maybe a Veery...it took off before I could see the breast...

This Wren was playing air guitar and singing "Carolina in My Mind!" Honest, it was...I heard it!

 I'll have more photos from the Biggest Week at Howard Marsh and Cuyahoga Valley National Park. Unfortunately, I came down with covid and had to quarantine for the rest of the festival...next year! Warblies look out!

2 comments:

  1. The unknown "thrush" looks like it could be a female Northern Cardinal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought of the simple solution!

      Delete