Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Knot Your Average Day at the Beach...

Sandy- " So, what's up with the skinny guy following us?"
Red-"I dunno, but I heard that camera makes your butt look big!"

To be or Knot to be...that was the question. Whether it is nobler to drive to a public pool to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous swimmers and photograph a Red Knot, or to eat...to eat perchance to dream...

Sorry. Meanwhile back in the real world...

Me and the Doodles heard about this Red Knot making a rare visit to the shores of Lake Erie, well actually, about one hundred yards inland at a public swimming area at Maumee State Park. Doodles was making Pot Roast for me, she's a vegetarian, so you know this was a rare treat! But, we decided to check it out...and wait for the big dinner...argh.

Go figure, kids splashing and screaming, enjoying the last holiday weekend of summer, and right in the midst, one lone Red Knot youngster and his buddy, the Sanderling. Minding their own business and feeding their faces and playing in the water. Hmmm, just like the 'people type' kids on the same beach...

After annoying the Knot, knot to mention the swimmers ("Hey, look at that big camera!") we took a hike to the surrounding lakefront area to see what we could see. And we saw it. Lots of Ring-billed Gulls, Forster's and Caspian Terns, Sandpipers and Sanderlings...lots and lots of Sanderlings...Stay tuned!

"Do you think he'll be impressed by my ballet moves? It's really hard to balance on your beak you know!"

"Yo, where's my Peeps?!"
, Kids, always yelling, "I'm hungry!, Are we there yet?, I'm bored!"
and your typical parent, tuning him out...


"Yeah, I may look like a Ring-billed Gull, but deep inside, I'm a majestic Bald Eagle, master of my domain!"

Meanwhile back inland, this Red-tailed Hawk has dinner in his sight, hmmm pot roast.

"Hey, take a hike! You're starting to get on my nerves!"
His stare really 'knotted' up my stomach...

2 comments:

  1. Hi Dave,
    This is a beautiful post with so many good shots! I love the tern one, but all are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy oh boy, I would love to see a flock of Caspian tern and ring billed gulls at my local reservoir! I can but dream!! Great photos Dave

    ReplyDelete